CannonDesign has an exceptional opportunity for an entry-level Mechanical Systems Assessor to join our growing Facility Optimization Solutions (FOS) practice in our Buffalo, NY area office. We are an integrated global design firm that unites a dynamic team of architects, engineers, strategists, futurists, researchers, and industry specialists driven by a singular goal—to help solve our clients’ and society’s greatest challenges.
FOS serves ongoing client demands of strategic planning and infrastructure investment solutions, providing the primary services of facility condition assessments, strategic capital improvement planning, ADA compliance, risk assessments, preventative maintenance planning and asset management solutions. Project scopes range from providing solutions for a single existing facility to hundreds of existing facilities. FOS provides services throughout the US and Canada. Our FOS team utilizes a software developed and maintained by CannonDesign, used by our team when conducting facility assessments.
The successful candidate will be responsible for conducting facility condition assessments of the mechanical systems for a variety of building types including healthcare, education, sports, municipal and commercial across the continental United States and Canada. This is an excellent opportunity to travel. Projects are typically short in duration and range from one to six months. Field deployments are typically 1-2 weeks in duration. The position will perform in the role of data collection, report writing and quality assurance under the supervision of an experienced Electrical Systems Assessor. There is an unlimited opportunity for growth within the FOS group. Additional key responsibilities include:
- Conduct on-site facility condition assessments as part of a multidisciplinary team (typically 4 persons), evaluating building electrical systems on new and existing buildings.
- Understand the operation and maintenance of building mechanical systems and their components including: heat exchangers, pumps, condensers, evaporators, compressors, cooling towers, steam boilers, hot water boilers, air handling units, roof top units, HVAC split systems, wet/dry sprinkler systems, pneumatic and DDC building controls, and fuel systems.
- Work effectively and efficiently with clients and other on-site personnel to assess capital assets by maintaining a typical daily walk rate from 100,000 to 175,000 square feet per day.
- Determine the condition of mechanical equipment and its remaining useful life.
- Provide technical identification and description of deficiencies ranging from concerns to critical issues.
- In technical terms describe remedial recommendations for future project planning and cost estimating by others in the FOS group.
- Interview building operations and maintenance staff to determine mechanical system history, previous work orders, and operations information.
- Prepare project progress documentation for project manager review.
- Actively participate in post-project reviews.
Qualified candidates must have an Associate degree in a related field. Previous related experience is preferred. Must have strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills. Self-motivated and ability to work well independently in a fast paced environment is essential. Experience with Microsoft Office, Microsoft Excel, Adobe Suite, Bluebeam and the aptitude for mobile device tools preferred. Prior cost estimating experience is valued but not required. Ability to travel up to 40% for out of town assignments required. Click on apply now to upload your resume and portfolio.
As a condition of employment, all CannonDesigners are required to complete mandatory training, including compliance training, within required timeframes and adhere to our internal policies and our Code of Conduct.
CannonDesign recognizes the value of diversity in our workforce. We are committed to equal opportunity. We consider all qualified employment applicants without regard to race, religion, color, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, partnership status, protected veteran status, disability, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Individuals who hold legal work authorization applicable to employment at CannonDesign in the United States will be considered without regard to citizenship/alienage.